Quebec on Monday ordered new restrictions on bars and restaurants in coronavirus hot spots, while Ontario’s premier warned of a “more complex” second wave, as Canada’s two most-populous provinces saw big increases in cases.
Quebec, the Canadian province hit hardest, will curb social gatherings in homes and limit bar and restaurant service to takeout for 28 days in Montreal and two other regions, Premier Francois Legault said. It reported 750 new cases on Monday.
“It’s time to take action,” Mr Legault told reporters in Montreal. “The situation is at the limit.”
The restrictions, which start on Thursday in the three regions, will not close businesses or schools.
But Mr Legault introduced restrictions like allowing only people living at the same address to be there at the same time.
Earlier on Monday, Ontario reported a new daily high of 700 cases, with a bit more than a day’s worth of samples still pending at labs.
“We know that this wave will be more complicated, more complex, it will be worse than the first wave we faced earlier this year,” Ontario Premier Doug Ford told reporters in Toronto.
Read more: Germany ‘could face 19,200 infections a day’, warns Merkel
Read more: Spanish government ready to intervene as Madrid becomes capital of Europe’s second wave